On Page Optimization: What are the keys to On Page Optimization?
On page optimization of your website is critical for success when ranking your website. It doesn’t matter how many backlinks you build or how much content you have if you are hurting yourself with poor on page optimization. In fact, it is estimated that on page optimization accounts for 20% of ranking factors for Google. Here are some tips to make sure your website is a website that search engines will love.
1. Make sure your main keyword is in the title of your website. Google places high importance on title tags and it is crucial that your main keyword is not only in your title, but at the beginning of your title. For example on the site: http://antisnoringdevicesnow.com, the keyword “anti snoring devices” is listed in the title – not once but twice. Besides content, the title tag is the single most important on-page SEO element.
2. Make sure your main keyword is also listed in your meta description and keyword tags. Now, it’s true that Google doesn’t pay much attention to meta keyword tags anymore, but the description is still vital for persuading a user to click on your link. For best on page optimization, your meta descriptions and keywords should be unique for each page and your description should be under 255 characters.
3. Include your main keyword in your H1 title tags. In recent years, Google has given more importance to h1 tags than keyword and description meta tags. It views an h1 tag as an important part of a webpage. Therefore, for proper on page optimization, it’s important to not only use your main keyword in your H1 tag, but to make sure the H1 tag is towards the top of the site, and that you only have one H1 tag per post.
4. Have unique, relevant content on your site. Google doesn’t want spammy content that is terribly written or copied from another site. They want quality content that elevates the user experience. When blogging, try to have a new article at least once a week and make sure it is at least 400-500 words in length. If you can post a new post 3 times per week, Google will love that even more. Because bounce rate is also an important factor for Google rankings, the better quality content you have, the longer a user will stay on your site thus increasing your SERP ranking.
5. Your posts should have a keyword density of at least 2-3%. What that means is: if your keyword is anti snoring devices and you have a 500 word article, your keyword needs to be mentioned in your post at least 10 times. Your keyword should also be mentioned in the first paragraph AND the last paragraph for prime on page optimization. Don’t mention your keyword too much, or the little Google bot will consider it a spam article and won’t be happy.
6. Have external links on your site. This may seem backward, but outgoing links show search engines that you are adding value for your visitors by providing them with links to additional information and this in turn adds velocity and authority to your site. For effective on page optimization, link your main keyword to only ONE external link per post, and make it a no follow link with the rel=”nofollow” attribute. Also make sure you are linking to a high quality website. And remember: not only are outbound links valuable for on page optimization, but they are also valuable for building relationships with other websites.
7. Have your main keyword bolded at least once in a post but no more than 3 times. When search engines such as Google see a word in bold, it assumes you are giving more weight to that word than other words in the post which in turn, gives you more SEO juice. The same goes for words that are underlined and in italics as well. But again, don’t overdo, or this will send off a red flag to the Google gods.
These are only a few of many tips you can use to make your website SEO friendly. If you want a great plugin that will do all of this on page optimization for you, check out the Easy WP SEO plugin for wordpress. This plugin uses a complex algorithm and has over 70 different options you can configure so that your website can have perfect on page optimization.